1. Describe yourself as an egg / egg dish
I am always an omelet, but a slightly different omelet from day to day: plain, cheese and tomato, sometimes the works… and sometimes mashed and destroyed and actually scrambled eggs by mistake. That’s me.
2. What’s your favourite thing about what you do?
I get to make things. Whether It’s a character running across a screen in a Flash animation, or a piece of code to help get a function on a website working, I get to bring life and purpose to things (even if only in a small way sometimes).
3. If you could do anything else as a way to make a living, without giving a thought to
how it would realistically affect your life right now, what would you do?
I would play the violin. Classical, Celtic, Gypsy… in orchestras, on the street, in pubs… wherever.
4. Where do you want to go next?
Tunisia or Morocco.
5. What’s your favourite thing about you?
I like the absurd little ideas that come into my head and make me laugh, and hopefully make a few other people laugh too.
6. If you could hang out with someone you don’t know, but would like to know- if only
for a little while- who would that be? Where would you want to hang?
I’d like to sit at the bar of any old pub and have a couple of pints with John Cusack.
7. What’s your drink?
Beer. Pint or bottle, doesn’t matter. Warm weather: Belle Geule Pilsner, Corona. Cold weather: Belle Geule Rousse, Boreal Rousse, St-Ambroise, Guiness.
8. What was the most enjoyable thing you ate today?
Well, it’s 9am, so I haven’t eaten anything yet, but that $4 glass of fresh-squeezed orange juice I just drank was pretty damn satisfying.
9. What are you listening to right now?
Traffic, and the occasional distant train horn. It’s a little louder here in our new apartment in DC than it was back home in Montreal. Music? Nothing usually — I work in silence — and if your name is Steve and you work for Plank, turn off your Black Sabbath, it’s completely inappropriate music to work to.
10. First name to pop in your head when you hear “artist”.
Billy Mavreas. Particularly fond of his collection of 20th century artifacts:
11. Name a site you haven’t gotten tired of yet – or, at least – check
Ironically I’m not a huge consumer of the web, even though I produce content for it. I check BBC’s site everyday to get my basic world news, and oh yeah… there’s this little site called documentone.ca that posts mainly still photography. No clue who does the site. Really. Honest. No idea.
12. When you whistle, hum, sing, or think of a song- which one is it most likely to be?
Whatever our noise crazy culture has planted in my head. Whether it’s a christmas jingle playing in the local coffee house, or some 80s song injected into my brain via the soothing sounds of elevator muzak — 10 seconds of exposure will mean I’m stuck with the song for half a day.
13. Are you grumpy about anything?
Not really. But everyday I’ll find at least one thing to be grumpy about — you have to make an effort, right? Let’s see… this new cable internet we have is kind of slow and lame.
14. What’s the coolest thing right now?
My new apartment and neighbourhood. It’ll wear off, but it’s cool to be in a new place and town after a lifetime in one city.
15. What do you live in?
An apartment, third floor of a triplex.
16. What were you doing 20 years ago?
Daydreaming my way through high school.
17. A brief history of you (in your own words):
1971: Born and raised in Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
1972-2005: Mostly daydreamed.
2006: Got married and moved to Washington, DC.
This Egg’s Links:
Which John Cusack Are You?
1972 Montreal Slideshow on flickr